Friday, August 31, 2007

The Welcome Bag Has Landed

Alrighty everyone! We have been waiting quite awhile for this (month and a half) and now we know for sure - AJ was told that he has a family! He knows we are waiting for him!

Our agency does this neat thing - the way that kids find out they are being adopted is that the new parents prepare a 'welcome bag' for them. It includes a photo album, a special t-shirt, and a few little toys... We sent ours to the agency in mid-July. However, we had to wait for an agency worker to be traveling to Ethiopia to take it. And he finally got it.

I haven't seen the photo yet, but I can't wait. I wonder what he's thinking? At AHOPE, these welcome bags aren't nearly as common as at our agency's other orphanage (where pretty much every child is adopted eventually). Although more and more children from AHOPE are finding homes (yeah!) many have been there a long time and may never leave.

My joy at him receiving his bag is somewhat tempered by my sadness for these other children. Although AJ has been at AHOPE for over a year now, I know that other children have been there longer. And I bet the older children know that their chances of leaving are not nearly as good. How hard it must be to see the few children who are chosen?

It tears at my heart. But I know I can't save them all. Being a fairly young parent as it is, I just know that I'm not ready to parent a child older than Lulu. And I don't think she would do well losing her spot as the oldest...

I guess all I can do is continue to keep these wonderful children in my thoughts and heart and do whatever I can to educate PAPs who just might be able to offer them the home they need...

But, back to my happiness - AJ knows we love him! =)

No comments: