Thursday, September 6, 2007

What to do when you are so "over it"?

I'm having a bit of a problem - there is still one person left on my 'list' to disclose AJ's HIV status to. And I'm not putting it off for fear of reaction or anything like that. I had just really hoped to do it in person and have a discussion about it. I hate doing it over the phone. The telephone seems to lend drama to it. And yes, I realize that this isn't a run of the mill disclosure. But it isn't world-ending either. So my brother and I have been playing phone tag. Hopefully I can track him down tonight and have the discussion.

Here is my problem:

I am so OVER the issues!

We spent weeks (months!) agonizing over the decision. Researching, talking, etc. Now, that we are committed to AJ and just want to get him home, we've moved past (most) of those emotions. I don't think about HIV on a daily basis. I certainly don't think about AJ as a sick kid and how he is going to impede our lives when he arrives.

It has been very hard for me to get in the right 'mind set" to have these disclosure talks. Because our family ISN'T yet where we are - how could they be? They haven't done the research. They haven't internalized the HIV/AIDS pandemic in Africa the way we have. To them, it seems very sudden, surprising, scary. And so each discussion involves lots of questions. Which is SO great! I want people to be educated, to seek us out when they don't know or understand something.

But it is a bit exhausting. The thought of gearing myself up for one more is tiring.

And that makes me feel kind of bad! I owe it to our families to try and put myself back in their shoes and tell them the sort of information that go us to where we are today.

So, I'm trying. I hope I succeed.

No comments: