Friday, August 3, 2007

Welcome!

I have been thinking about doing this for WEEKS but never got around to it! Hmm... that sounds bad. I guess the truth is that I've had all these feelings bottled up one way or another since we started the adoption process and I've just wanted to share them. But, unfortunately, HIV is not a topic you can just open up to anyone about. At least, I don't feel that way now.

As you can see from my bio, my husband and I are expanding our family by adopting from Ethiopia. I plan to post in the future about how we made the decision to adopt, how we chose Ethiopia, and how we decided to adopt an HIV+ child. But for now, all you need to know is that we finally 'got there' and committed to our beautiful son AJ. He is about three years old and is waiting for us at AHOPE.



Already at home we have a thoughtful and sometimes dramatic 6 year old daughter, Lulu, and a ferociously independent, yet cuddle bug almost one year old daughter, Jane. Lulu cannot wait for her brother to come home. I'm sure we'll have adjustments there too, but she is excited. Jane, obviously, has no idea what is going on, but she loves other kids and I'm sure she will be very excited to have him home (although I KNOW she'll have some adjusting to do - she is rather demanding!). Just to make our house a bit more complicated, we also have two dogs and a crazy kitty (all from one rescue or another).

We look forward to sharing our experiences. I hope that we are able to provide some valuable education about the adoption process for a child with HIV and, later, parenting experiences. My sincere hope is that if just one person finds this informative and starts them to thinking, "I could do that," then it would be a success. Because, if not you, then who?